Reuse laptop CPU for desktop PC

Have a Broadwell core i5 laptop that's dead and thinking of how to salvage and reuse whatever parts I can. Have recycled its DDR3L RAM and SATA HDD. I wonder if it is possible to get a LGA1150 desktop mainboard (perhaps old stock in SLS?) and stick in the core i5 processor. Would it work?

u0206397 wrote: Have a Broadwell core i5 laptop that's dead and thinking of how to salvage and reuse whatever parts I can. Have recycled its DDR3L RAM and SATA HDD. I wonder if it is possible to get a LGA1150 desktop mainboard (perhaps old stock in SLS?) and stick in the core i5 processor. Would it work? Won't work, unless yr laptop cpu is the desktop variant and is not soldered on

OK. I did a check and my processor is using some BGA (ball grid array?) and is thus soldered. Not the LGA1150 socket that can more easily find replacement boards.

How did you confirm that the cpu

It will be great to reuse it, but sadly, it's not easy as it sounds. As you just discovered, the CPU for laptops are either soldered, or they are likely to use a different socket from the desktop variant. Not many manufacturers will produce mobo with these sockets.