Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PCE-AC68 card vs. RT-AC66U router
I am using a RT-AC68U router and have a PC connected to it via cable. On the PC, I run iperf server. On another PC, I have the PCE-AC68 adapter with recently updated driver. I get ~ 150Mbits
Wired connection will much better than wireless.
If you are referring to using the another router as wireless repeater and connect to the PC. Communication between routers can achieve top speed, say 866mbps without much interference. Most likely the repeater able to reach >300mbps and that able to provide this speed to the PC. That is why routers are expensive than normal wireless Ethernet adapter.
Leon wrote: I am using a RT-AC68U router and have a PC connected to it via cable. On the PC, I run iperf server. On another PC, I have the PCE-AC68 adapter with recently updated driver. I get ~ 150Mbits
eric3743 wrote: Wired connection will much better than wireless. Sorry for not being clear... Let me explain. Setup A: PC's wireless device: PCE-AC68 Setup B: PC's wireless device: router (RT-AC66U) as repeater. Setup B has double the speed of A and I don't understand why... eric3743 wrote: If you are referring to using the another router as wireless repeater and connect to the PC. Communication between routers can achieve top speed, say 866mbps without much interference. Most likely the repeater able to reach >300mbps and that able to provide this speed to the PC. That is why routers are expensive than normal wireless Ethernet adapter. PCE-AC68 is not cheap also, and it has 3 antenna just like the RT-AC66U.
The AC66U has onboard processing power compared to the wireless add on card. It was designed to be a router in the first place.
Leon wrote: I am using a RT-AC68U router and have a PC connected to it via cable. On the PC, I run iperf server. On another PC, I have the PCE-AC68 adapter with recently updated driver. I get ~ 150Mbits
Leon wrote: Sorry for not being clear... Let me explain. Setup A: PC's wireless device: PCE-AC68 Setup B: PC's wireless device: router (RT-AC66U) as repeater. Setup B has double the speed of A and I don't understand why... PCE-AC68 is not cheap also, and it has 3 antenna just like the RT-AC66U. Basically there are things to take into consideration in using PCE-AC68 adapter. It use PCI-E interface of the motherboard. When computer OS require to assign some resource for it to operate, hence it depend on your system. To have a proper testing to see how far n best it could managed. Put the computer next to the primary router. Do the speedtest wired n wireless. In this way you will know the limit. You can do the test on another system to see the differences. Whereas Router is a standalone as this is the difference. Router to router can have speed of minimum 866mbps. Speed is internal, not related to ISP plan. To find the internal speed, do use Wifi Overview 360 App to do the testing. To know the repeater best speed at that particular location, use the Wifi Overview 360 App to test.
Leon wrote: Am I missing something? Are there settings that I should check? If your motherboard do come with ethernet adapter, see of you can disable it. It may interfer with the resource. As this happened when i used USB wifi adapter. Not sure in your case.
Leon wrote: 1. 802.11ac. The drive says so. I also set RT-AC68 to channel bandwidth to 80Mhz to be sure. 2. I tried 80Mhz. 3. Yes, one wall. for position of the antenna for both setup are just beside each other. 4. About 8 meters. 1. Can you take a screenshot of your Wireless connection Status. Just right click the wireless icon at the bottom right corner -> select "Open Network and Sharing Centre" -> click on "Change adapter setting" -> right click your "Wireless Network Connection" -> select "Status" -> remember to use mspaint.exe to mask out information such as your SSID -> upload to internet and post here. I'm suspecting you are connecting to the 2.4ghz. 2. On your RT-AC68, change Channel width to 20